Saturday, March 10, 2012

What should I do after flooding the engine in my 2000 Buick Regal?

It's -41C. The car is parked on a residential street and not plugged in. I attempted to start the 3800 V6 approx. 10 times, turning the key back to the "off" position after each try, something I learned only afterwards should not be done, since more fuel gets shot into the engine every time the ignition switches from "off" to "run".

Approx. 10 hrs. later I tried again while holding the accelerator pedal down- this time it almost went, and it backfired from the excess fuel.

Someone told me that once an engine is flooded, there is nothing you can do except have all the sparkplugs removed which allows the excess fuel to escape through these holes. Is this my ONLY option here? Five days have passed since I last tried to start it. Should I try starting it again where it is, have it towed to where I can plug it in first, or have it towed to a service outlet because the plugs have to be removed, which might prove to be costly in labour. Or would it? Are these my only options here?What should I do after flooding the engine in my 2000 Buick Regal?Nearly ALL manufacturers use a computer-controlled strategy for injecting fuel.

If you turn the key off then on, it does NOT add fuel. Fuel is delivered only by engine rotation. The only thing that energizes when the key is turned on and off is the computer and the fuel pump relay. Period.

If the engine is truly flooded, the strategy for "clear flood condition" written into the computer is to open the throttle all the way (%26gt; 90%) then crank the engine. The computer sees the wide-open throttle position and understands that the engine is not running, and the command then is to turn off the injectors until it sees the throttle return to %26lt; 70% position. This allows the engine to rotate and expell the fuel without adding to the condition.

The chances are that what has happened is that the battery is too cold to crank the engine at great enough speed to successfully ignite the fuel charge.

You may want to get the car to a location where you can plug in the heater.



Happy MotoringWhat should I do after flooding the engine in my 2000 Buick Regal?If it's flooded then it should be fine after a length of time sitting. Try it again, if it doesn't start flooding is not your problem. Holding the pedal to the floor and cranking usually will over come flooding and it will start and clear up.What should I do after flooding the engine in my 2000 Buick Regal?Oh the woe of slow cranking fuel injected engines.

Even when the engine is cranking ever so slow you can bet your house that them injectors are just a squirting away.

Once that carbon track is established on a spark plug it is permanent.

Give it a small sniff of either next time on a fully charged battery.

Even either will fire off of a carbon track or slightly fouled plug, and hopefully dry them out for the time being.

If you live in a region of -41 I would consider a bad AZ Optima spiral cell battery, or have an either injector installed on the engine.

+ 0W - 20 Mobil One oil.
  • gogos crazy bones
  • barometer
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment