Saturday, February 25, 2012

I have a '92 buick century that hesitates and sputters unless I give it full throttle.?

It also stalls when I pull away from a stop (usually after hard braking). I recently got a new alternator, spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. It also has only 67k miles. My mechanic said that it might be the in-tank fuel pump, but that is very expensive. What else might cause sputtering and stalling?I have a '92 buick century that hesitates and sputters unless I give it full throttle.?I had problems like that with mine. After dropping about $500 into it, new spark plugs, wires, ingition control module, and fuel pump, it ended up being a $30 crankshaft sensor.I have a '92 buick century that hesitates and sputters unless I give it full throttle.?It was the mass airflow sensor. I cleaned the and the problems cleared right up! I would recommend anyone to do this because I also found 20-30hp. Thanks for the help everyone!

Report Abuse

I have a '92 buick century that hesitates and sputters unless I give it full throttle.?Try unplugging the connector to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. The yellow check engine light will come on, but if the car drives much better, then tell your mechanic. This assumes your ignition tuneup is good including the spark plug wires.I have a '92 buick century that hesitates and sputters unless I give it full throttle.?
I hate to tell you this but your mechanic could be right, but before you go that route i was gonna say change your fuel filter but i see you have already done that, OK how about switching gas are you running regular unleaded then try some premium gas I know it's a little expensive then regular if you want try mixing it.



It won't hurt the catalytic converter or your intake manifold but if you are a little Leary about mixing fuels then get a bottle of complete fuel system cleaner (concentrated)



To add it to your tank make sure that the tank is nearly empty, add the system cleaner in the tank and add fuel say about 20 gallons of gas. Since it's concentrated you don't need to add any more, just more gas when nearly empty.



Now if your car is still sputtering and chocking and gasping for life then it's your in-tank fuel pump.



Oh another product you can try is called restore it comes in a silver can there are 3 different size cans for 3 different style engines 1)a short can is for 4 cylinders 2) a medium can is for 6 cylinders and 3) large can is for 8 cylinders if your car is a 6 cylinder then get the med. can or a 4 or 8 to find out how many cylinders you have count the spark plug wires 4 wires 4 cylinders 6 wires you get the idea.

1 comment:

  1. I have a 95 Buick century it sputtered and has no pick up I replaced,fuel pump and fuel pump assembly fuel pump regulator spark plugs wires was not firing on cylinders 2 & 3 replaced the coil block now firing. You have to feather the gas to get it to go faster replace map sensor. But the car drives better when you're unplug the sensor. Any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete